What are spider mites and what do they do to plants?
Spider mites are small pests that live on plants and suck the life out of them. A spider mite infestation can be difficult to identify and even harder to get rid of, but here’s a list of some things you can do to take care of these pesky insects:
How can you identify an infestation of spider mites?
If you think you might have a spider mite infestation, there are a few things you can look for:
- Tiny, red or brown spots on the leaves of your plant
- Webbing between the leaves of your plant
- Plants that are wilting or dried out
How to get rid of spider mites on indoor plants?
There are a few different ways to get rid of spider mites on indoor plants:
- Hose the plants down with water and soap. This will help to dislodge the mites and wash them away.
- Spray the plants with a horticultural oil or neem oil. This will suffocate the mites.
- Apply a miticide to the plants. This will kill the mites.
- Take the plants outside and blast them with a strong stream of water from a hose. This will get rid of the mites.
Place yellow sticky traps around your plants. The mites will be attracted to the bright colour and get stuck on the trap, which will prevent them from getting back onto your plants. Make sure you replace these traps often because they can become covered in mites very easily. How to prevent spider mites on indoor plants
Preventing spider mite infestations from happening in the first place
There are a few things you can do to prevent spider mites from infesting your indoor plants:
- Keep the leaves of your plants clean and free of debris. This will make it harder for the mites to live and breed on the plants.
- Water your plants regularly and properly. This will help to keep them healthy and strong, making them less susceptible to an infestation.
- Keep the humidity levels on your plants low. Spider mites love warm, dry places so if you keep the air around them humid they are more likely to get an infestation.
- Try not to move infested plants near healthy ones. If spider mites infect one plant it gives them a chance to spread to others nearby which will make it harder on you to get rid of them.
Spider mites are tiny pests that can be difficult to get rid of once they infest your indoor plants. But by following some simple prevention tips and using a few natural remedies, you can keep these pesky insects at bay. We hope this article has been helpful in teaching you how to identify and treat spider mite infestations.