Did you know that there are plants that are toxic to pets? While many plants are safe for both humans and animals, others can be harmful-even deadly-to our furry friends. It’s important to be aware of these plants and their dangers so that you can keep your pet safe and healthy. In this article, we’ll discuss the top 5 Indoor plants that are toxic to dogs.
What Indoor Plants are Toxic to Dogs?
1. Sago Palm
Also known as the “cardboard palm,” you might be familiar with this plant even if you don’t know what it’s called. This is one of the most poisonous plants commonly found in American households, and it can cause serious problems for dogs who eat any part of it. While an animal would need to ingest a substantial amount of this plant to cause serious harm, it’s best to keep it out of reach just in case.
Lilies are another common household plant that can be dangerous for our furry friends. While it takes less than 2 per cent of the lily plant for a dog to become sick, your pet can still get ill from ingesting even a small amount of the plant. Symptoms may include vomiting, lethargy, lack of appetite, diarrhea, abdominal pain and changes in heart rate.
This common houseplant is one that many people don’t realize is highly toxic to both dogs and cats. It can cause oral irritation if chewed or licked, and ingestion can result in oral pain, drooling, vomiting and even difficulty swallowing. While this plant is one of the most common poisonous ones found in homes, a dog would need to ingest a sizable amount to cause serious illness.
While not all varieties are toxic to pets, there are several that are. If your tulips are of the “Godspeed” or “Red Riding Hood” variety, keep them away from your pets, as these varieties can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested.
Another common household plant, azaleas can be fatal to dogs if eaten. It’s important to note that not all azaleas are poisonous, but if your dog eats the leaves of a toxic variety, it can result in vomiting and diarrhea.
Worried about your dog or cat becoming sick from ingesting a certain plant? Get in touch with your veterinarian immediately. They can help you determine whether or not treatment is needed for either your pet or yourself if you’ve ingested any part of the plant.
As you may have noticed, many plants are safe for both humans and pets. But keep in mind that some plants can be harmful-even deadly-to our furry friends. To find out which indoor plants might be toxic to your dog or cat, check out this list from the ASPCA. And if you’re not sure about a plant’s toxicity level? It’s best to play it safe and leave them alone!